Sunday, March 25, 2007

Dilemma

So, I have been reading "Wickett's Remedy" since last week, and I have reached a point where I'm not sure I want to continue. This is distressing to me, because I HATE to not finish books once I start them. There have been occasions where I hated a book so much I finished it just to spite the author (I know, this makes NO sense). A prime example of this is "The Third Twin" by Ken Follett. I liked a lot of his earlier books, especially "Pillars of the Earth," but this one was just awful. I finished it anyway, seething with rage the whole time. Anyway, I am about 100 pages into "Wickett's Remedy," and the story really hasn't grabbed me. Nancy Pearl, the famous book-recommending librarian, has a rule that says if you're not into a book after 50 pages, you should abandon it. This book seemed promising after 50 pages, but it's really not going anywhere after 100. I have so many other books I want to read, it seems like a waste of time to keep reading one I'm not really enjoying.... (I hit one of my favorite used book stores yesterday and bought three more... I know, I have a problem).

No comments: