Monday, July 23, 2007

The end

I just finished a three-hour sprint through the last 200+ pages of The Deathly Hallows... I don't even know what to say. I laughed, I cried. J.K. Rowling hit it out of the park, in my opinion. I'm completely satisfied with the ending. I'm even happier that now I can starting using the Internet/radio/TV again :) I had a close call this morning when I turned on "Morning Edition" and then had to shut it off 10 minutes later when they started talking about Harry Potter.

Now that I'm finished with it, I feel a little bereft. One of the great things about the Harry Potter series is that we've been able to follow Harry's adventures as Rowling was dreaming them up. When I got my hands on the book (around 12:30 a.m. Saturday), I felt as though I was about to enter a world that no one had visited before. The other day at work, we were talking about whether there has ever been any literary phenomenon like Harry Potter, which I think it's pretty safe to say is NO. I can always re-read these, but it won't be the same as devouring them for the first time. (If I ever have kids, though, guess what I will be reading to them at bedtime :) )

OK, now it's time to rejoin the world and do some things I have been neglecting all day - like eat!

3 comments:

M said...

I totally agree -- out of the park. I laughed and cried too. And applauded. I'll elaborate in an email to keep your blog spoiler-free. :)

Rainy said...

I read the whole thing in one day (yay for teachers who have summer break) after finishing five and six for the second time. Fantastic. And I agree, a phenomenon unlike anything else in the bookworld. The fact that kids and adults alike are so enamored of these characters is pretty impressive. Whatever will she write next?

And don't you want to know more about what happened between the last chapter and the epilogue?

Anne said...

I do want to know more! I heard that J.K. Rowling wrote the epilogue when she first started the series, so if that's true, that might explain why it doesn't totally jive with the tone of the rest of the book. There is definitely room for a new series filling in that gap :)