Saturday, February 9, 2008

Beach reading

While packing for my recent trip to St. Thomas (destination wedding, woo hoo!), I decided I needed a good beach book. For me, a good beach book is not a trashy Danielle Steele, rather something that is light and engrossing but also requires a little bit of intellectual engagement. I decided on “In the Company of the Courtesan,” by Sarah Dunant, which ended up being a very good beach (and poolside) read.

Part of the reason I liked this book so much is that it is set in one of my favorite cities, Venice. It’s one of those places that you hear so much about it, you think it can’t possibly be as beautiful as everyone says. Then you get there and realize it really is. The book is set during the 1520s, and focuses on the life of a courtesan (basically a high-class prostitute) and her companion dwarf.

At the time, Venice was one of the most powerful cities in Europe, a leader in commerce and art. It was also known for its beautiful courtesans, whose clients included leaders of government and religion. Dunant paints a vivid portrait of the lives of Venetians: the intrigue and scandal, set against the beautiful backdrop of the watery city. The book is full of interesting characters, from high-class nobles to a famous artist and a mysterious healer/witch.

This is probably one of the best historical novels I have read, along with one of Dunant’s earlier novels, “The Birth of Venus,” which is also set in Italy (Florence).

2 comments:

M said...

These sound right up my alley. Which of the two would you recommend I try first? The Venice one or the Florence one?

Anne said...

I would say the Florence one - I liked it better, but they are both good :)