Thursday, May 31, 2007

Coming attractions

I was excited to hear that Ian McEwan has a new book out. Then I read this review in the NY Times, and I lost some of my enthusiasm. I absolutely loved “Atonement” and really liked “Saturday,” so it’s disappointing that his new one seems to not live up to them. But on the bright side, there are many older McEwan books that I have yet to read, so hopefully those will occupy me for a while.

Other new books I am looking forward to: "After Dark," by Haruki Murakami, and "Divisadero," by Michael Ondaatje. Also, Tom Perrotta, author of one of my favorite books, "Joe College," has a book coming out in October with the very intriguing title of "The Abstinence Teacher."

But maybe I should make a dent in the current pile(s) before I start any of those...

No comments: